Friday, December 19, 2014

Small Changes


Small Changes
by
George McDermith

        I have always had an inclination towards books and long conversations over large cups of coffee, it's just the way I am. Thus until about two years ago I never really thought overly much about my physical health. As a blind person who lost his vision during his mid teen years I initially bought into the idea that blindness entailed that I could not be as physically active as others, and after I got my head screwed on straight about my blindness I just didn't have much inclination towards physical activity.

        All that changed for me after I started going through a rough spot in my life personally. I took a long hard look at where I was and where I wanted to be, and one thing I determined was that I wanted to be fit. The way I phrased it was that I didn't need to be a Greek god, but neither did I wish to be the next Yokosuka. Being able to get to a level of fitness to participate in athletic competitions is wonderful, but I didn't want my life to revolve around that. I subsequently started making small changes to my diet and what I did with my day,
and was amazed at how those small changes gradually built upon one another into a lifestyle change for the better. In the course of working on my exercise routine I was on the hunt for things that would entertain me. I wanted something that would stimulate, as well as be a good workout, and I found my answer in two very different sports.

        Tandem Cycling:

        At first I gave this a shot because there was already a group in Denver http://www.eyecyclecolorado.org, and then I stuck with it because I fell in love with it. Whether it's a short ride on a cool spring morning, a century (100 miles) in the dead middle of summer, or a quick winter ride to get the blood pumping, I always find the time on a bike to be uplifting. My captains, the person who is on the front of the bike, are great folks, and the social aspect has helped me hop on and stick with a ride when I wasn't overly keen on going. What was a once a couple of weeks thing has become an every single chance I can get thing. If you have never felt the wind in your hair as you are blasting down a hill at 40 MPH I highly recommend you
give it a go.

        Goalball:

        Some might call this the sport for the insane, and I would respond that I resemble that remark, but laying that aside it is my opinion that this is the closest thing the blind have currently to football. (Did I mention I *love* the Broncos?) I love the physicality of the sport, and the ability to give my all in something that is not for the faint of heart causes me to want to continue to hone my skills.

        Whatever your desire might be for fitness, whether to lose a few pounds or perhaps become a Greek god or goddess, I recommend trying as many things as possible to find out what works best for you. What causes you to light up at the possibility of doing it again? Perhaps it's swimming, or hiking, or going for a walk. Whatever it is stick with it, and make small changes for the better, they add up.

No comments:

Post a Comment