Greetings Blind Coloradan readers,
Please see the below notes:
- We have an NFBCO hotline for any individuals who are blind and needing some extra support, guidance, advocacy as the nation deals with the ever expanding outbreak of COVID19. We are using our NFBCO extension at the Colorado Center for the Blind to gather questions, reports of difficulties accessing services, or any other special circumstances arising out of the pandemic . Please call 303-778-1130 ext. 219. We will do the best we can to coordinate some volunteer assistance if someone is isolated and in need of groceries or supplies or facing other difficulties. Please remember that above all else, we truly are a Federation family. Feel free to reach out to our state president, members of our state board of directors, and local leaders if you are in emotional or physical need. We know that some blind folks have been turned away from grocery stores. They were told that the stores were unwilling to assist. We are also working with authorities to make sure people with disabilities have equal access to test sites and health care facilities. If you reach out to your medical professionals and then encouraged to get tested and you find the process inaccessible please let us know. The NFB will continue to serve as advocates.
- As you know, NFBCO is following all of the guidance from our national office to limit exposure to the virus. The Federation will sponsor no official seminars, chapter meetings, or division meetings for at least the next 30 days. However, we are strongly encouraging chapters to hold chapter meetings via conference call, Zoom, or other appropriate platforms. It is important that we keep our united effort and spirit of philosophy and advocacy in action.
- Over this next month, members of our executive board have been charged with developing some conference call and webinar training. Over the next week or so you will hear about some training seminars we will be providing. I know that one of these trainings will deal with chapter and division financial management. So, chapter treasurers and presidents, in particular, should stay tuned for more info. If you have ideas for training content you would like all of us to pursue together let us know. From philosophy to community relations to how to have the best chapter meetings possible. We can use this time to continue our work.
- Of course, our eagerly anticipated Poudre Valley organizing planned for the 31st of this month is cancelled. But we will continue our work by phone and email in that area of the state. There is much we can do electronically to help build the Federation and bring opportunities to our brothers and sisters no matter where they live in Colorado.
- We know that many of our colleagues who manage businesses under the Business Enterprise Program will be closing their operations or their sales will be significantly curtailed. Our Colorado Association of Blind Merchants, under the leadership of Brad Basta, is working with Program Manager Dan Whalen and his team to do everything possible to minimize the impact. We already know that our colleague Nate Hecker’s business at the Capitol has been closed. Many of you may know that our General Assembly is taking a two week hiatus due to the Coronavirus outbreak. NFBCO applauds Colorado BEP staff for the extra effort they are making. Thank you.
- The Colorado Center for the Blind will release a statement about its operations later today. We will post and distribute as appropriate.
- With CSDB and other schools serving blind students closed, we stand ready to help when possible. If you know of blind kiddos who could use some mentoring of some kind during this break please be in touch. We would love to help where we can. We say to parents of blind kids, “keep those kids active, keep them reading, and, of course, keep them safe.”
- Remember that NFB Newsline carries local Colorado papers, breaking news, news from the Federation, TV listings, and weather bulletins. Call our new Coronavirus COVID19 hotline if you do not have your Newsline codes or need to apply and we will get right back to you.