Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Change the way you think, and you’ll change the way you live

 The Black Lives Matter movement has given many the opportunity to give thoughtful consideration to racial injustice and system oppression of Blacks.

 As a blind person, I empathize with all people who feel ‘less than’, lacking in value, unloved, and not respected. I too have been living in a society that has me sidelined because of my ‘difference’.

 All people are valuable, lovable, and should be respected. It’s okay to be different; never okay to be treated as less than. I am as valuable an individual as those who have sight. Even though my physical eyes don’t see, my inner vision is strong.

 I have a voice. I have worth. In my unique circumstances I am qualified to say “just because you have eyes, doesn’t mean you see.” Just because you have eyes, doesn’t mean you are more valuable than me.

 I am not less than, I am equal too. As society starts to wake up from its too-long slumber regarding racial inequality, we will more fully grasp that all people, regardless of race, gender, color, ethnicity, religions or disability, are equal.

 Our skin, our abilities, or our disabilities, aren’t what makes us worthy or important. It is our hearts, our humanity, our kindnesses, and our love towards others that makes the greatest impact.

 Right now is the opportune time to embrace our differences and inner vision, and importantly, to decide how we want to evolve. Do we want to live like we have in the past? Do we want to keep living automatically reacting to external circumstances? Or do we want to be in charge of our lives? In charge of our futures? And in charge of creating our destinies?

 If we look inside our hearts and minds and consider deeply our beliefs and faith, our attitudes on diversity and inclusion, and focus on what action(s) we can take to move ourselves forward, then we will truly change the way we see, and we will truly change the way we ALL live.

~Gail Hamilton


No comments:

Post a Comment