Wednesday, December 16, 2020

A message of apology and hope from the President of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado Scott C. LaBarre

 

My Colorado Family:

I must admit that I come to all of you with a heavy heart today.  As many of you know, a little less than two weeks ago, Friday the 4th of December, to be exact, posts started to emerge on Facebook regarding incidents of sexual misconduct which have occurred at NFB centers and other NFB programs as well as some state run training centers for the blind.  Some of those stories involve our very own Colorado Center for the Blind.  Last Friday we released our initial statement regarding these matters, and today we are publishing an open letter of apology from President Riccobono.  That can be found at:

https://www.nfb.org/blog/open-letter-apology-president-riccobono

You, by now, should have  received an email copy of this letter, but in case you have not seen it elsewhere, it is pasted below.

As some of you might know, I have taken on a new role with the NFB for the last few months, that of General Counsel.  Thus I have been quite involved with our response to these stories and related matters.  I know that in this world of instantaneous communication, people usually demand and expect immediate responses and action.  However, we are taking the time necessary to get all of this right, not just our communications but, more importantly, our action steps.  We are going to be as open and transparent as possible, and we welcome everyone’s advice and input.  Please take note of the action steps outlined below.  Do not hesitate to contact me or anyone else with questions or comments.

In the beginning, I said I have a heavy heart.  That is because I hurt for the survivors and victims, and I join Mark in apologizing for the mistakes we have made.  As you know, I have two children, Alex and Emily, and I hope and pray that they never have to go through the pain and suffering some have experienced.  We must do all we can to create the most welcoming, inclusive, and safe environment that we can to carry on our vital work. 

I should also mention that on a local level, our CCB will be coming out with a statement of its own.  The CCB intends to adopt the same steps as are identified in President Riccobono’s letter as adjusted for our local circumstances as well as others. 

Lastly, I again want to express my sorrow.  I intend to work as hard as I know how to take on these challenges openly and figure out the best way forward to make us stronger and better.  Please help us do that.  I also want to wish all of you peace and joy during this holiday season.

With love, an open mind and heart,

Scott 

No comments:

Post a Comment