Thursday, November 6, 2014

Because of you I was Inspired: A Message from Board Member Kevan Worley


Greetings to my Colorado Federation Family,

I don't know about you, but I am plunging back into a very busy week of work. I simply had to say to each and every one of my Federation family how much I feel I gained from this weekend's convention. I feel that everyone contributed in their own, very special, and personal way. Some of us were able to present. Some of us directed people to breakout sessions. Some of us stood and cheered for the children and the seniors from 5-95. Some of us sold raffle tickets. Most of us hoped we would win. Some of us shared breakfast in the morning. Others closed the bar at night. A few of you were able to do both. We all enjoyed President LaBarre's informative and stirring presidential report. I know that, due to time restrictions, he had to cut some of the information he wanted to deliver. I know that we will publish his entire report, and I look forward to reading it myself. Some of us formed a brand new sports and recreation division. Some of us participated in exciting and educational student activities. Some of us came from new chapters across the state. Some came as students or staff of our marvelous Colorado Center for the Blind. Some gave out door prizes, managed our audio/video component, drew raffle tickets, awarded scholarships, handled registration, mentored the deaf-blind, or first time attendees. Many of us enjoyed twisting and shouting. Some of us presented robust resolutions condemning and deploring injustice or calling out for change and possibility. A few of us met as merchants looking to increase entrepreneurial opportunity for the blind of Colorado. I think all of us made new friends and welcomed new  people to our Federation family. Some of us accepted new positions of leadership within our groups of parents, students, merchants, and seniors. All of us stood and cheered and cried when Diane McGeorge received our highest award in honor of Ray McGeorge. All of us were proud of our students. Those five awarded scholarships and all of the others, who will be applying for the 2015 national and state awards. A few of us dressed as animals, or clowns, or whatever those other things were, and won awards for their creativity, ghastliness, and horror. Some of us sang, I guess that's what it's called, karaoke. We all welcomed family members from other affiliates. Most of us made pledges of future contributions of time, energy, talent, and treasure. They are pledges from the heart, which most of us will keep as much as we are able. Because of you, our 60th convention was informative, thought-provoking, empowering, and extremely energizing. Because of you, it worked. I mean it from the bottom of my heart when I say, thank you. Thank you for helping us build the Federation in Colorado, and beyond. I am humbled by the people I am honored to know in our National Federation of the Blind of Colorado. In a word, you guys are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment